IB – Inclusion Policy
The Brody Middle School Mission
Brody Middle School students are actively involved in a quality educational program to reach their fullest potential as inquiring, knowledgeable, compassionate and caring learners within a global community.
The Brody Mission is to ensure learning by providing quality instruction for all students that supports a lifetime commitment to intercultural understanding and respect.
Statement of Philosophy
All students will participate as fully as possible in the IB Middle Years Program (MYP). The MYP is an inclusive, holistic program designed to meet the needs of all learners. Students with special education needs will be included to the fullest extent possible so that all can experience consistent academic success.
An Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) is a plan or program developed to ensure that a child who has a disability identified under the law and is attending an elementary or secondary educational institution receives specialized instruction and related services.
A 504 Plan is a plan developed to ensure that a child who has a disability identified under the law and is attending an elementary or secondary educational institution receives accommodations and modifications that will ensure their academic success and access to the learning environment.
Exceptional children differ from the norm (either below or above) to such an extent that they require an individualized program of special education and related services to fully benefit from education.
Federal, State and Local Requirements
In order to effectively meet the needs of our special education students, we adhere to the policies and practices set forth by federal, state and local authorities for the education of exceptional children, including:
- Implementing the accommodations and modifications specified in the Individual Education Plans (IEPs) and 504 plans
- Providing accommodations, modifications and/or testing environments for students with special needs
- Scheduling students appropriately in co-taught classes as prescribed by IEPs and 504s
- Regularly reviewing and revising IEPS and 504s
In addition to following federal, state and district regulations for the education of special needs students, Brody MS adds the following interventions to support exceptional learners:
- Students with specific learning needs in math and/or reading will receive additional intervention from the classroom teacher
- Teachers offer regular tutoring and enrichment opportunities
- Families will work with students and staff to personalize their educational experiences